Saturday, September 25, 2010

Tech Savvy Historian

Oh, the irony.

I am historian who is obsessed with modern technology.

When I sat in my European history course and listened to lectures this past semester, I no longer had pen and paper. Instead, my notebook was a hip Sony Vaio.

My relatively simple flip phone was also gone, now replaced with a sleek and powerful Droid.

Both of these devices generally made my life easier, but in history class they made getting work done more difficult.

Every other second it seemed like a friend texted me, and although it was typically unimportant, I felt obligated to answer. And then when I tried to refocus and type notes, I would, for one reason or another, end up on Firefox surfing the web.

Of course, I could have easily prevented these distractions by silencing my phone and turning off my laptop's wifi.

However, I enjoyed texting and browsing, and it was especially enjoyable because this class was, to put it bluntly, boring.

Yes I admit it: My history class was boring! Probably because my history professor was dry and uncreative, and probably because the European middle ages are very unexciting to begin with.

I know that as a history major and as an advocate of appreciating history, its peculiar for me to feels this way and even if I do, I probably should not admit it.

I kind of sound like a priest saying I can do without Leviticus. Ouch. There goes my flock...

Usually, I love my history courses and get submerged in lectures and discussions, but this was not the case this past semester. And my cool gadgets didn’t help.

Perhaps I need a way to bridge the gap between technology and history. Perhaps my next research project should be on the history of personal technology...

Anyway, I got to run. Firefox just prompted me to update it.

No comments: