Monday, April 20, 2009

The Uncertain Future

Sometimes I get deeply concerned with the future. It stresses me out. It worries me.

What am I going to do when I graduate? What graduate school am I going to go? What am I going to study?

What am I going to do when I am living on my own? What am I going to do if my mom gets sick? How am I going to handle girl's pregnancy? Am I going to be a good husband and father? What kind of job will I have in the future?

Although I try to answer these questions based on what has occurred so far, only the future will give me the true answers. For now, all I can try do is shape that future as best as I can.

I think that, for the most part, I control my destiny. Of course, I can't control the actions of others. And that, I have to admit, scares me because most people are not as sane, rational, or ethical as I am. Okay, maybe I took that too far and maybe I am making myself seem much better than most people. But honestly, I trust myself much more than I trust others.

I would like to think that if I continue to make good decisions, I will be rewarded. But, as the Bible teaches us in the story of Job, that is not always the case. This world does not play favorites. Mother Nature has no sympathy. God, if there is one, does not reward those who do right with Heaven and those who commit sin with Hell. I wish it was that way. And I am certain that many others do, too.

We must do right for the sake of doing right. Although this sounds absurd, this should not discourage us from doing right. I know I will continue to do right. Will you? Just remember, your future and my future depends on how you answer that question.

1 comment:

Taz said...

I believe the future is more about how well you deal with the things that are thrown your way and not so much about what is thrown your way.

Doing right for the sake of doing right is a mindset more people need to be in. Like you said, if there is a God and he does things the way we've been told throughout our lives, we know what the final score will be if/when we meet him.

But if that's not the case then I believe every act of kindness and generosity goes that much further because it comes without expectation or reward. The main thing to keep in mind is to continue with your goals and believe that whatever choices you make you made them for the right reasons.