Saturday, July 12, 2008

What’s Up, Mommies & Daddies?

With over half of marriages ending in divorce or separation, and with record percentages of fathers in prison, mothers facing new economic pressures are entering the workforce to provide for the household.

Single mothers, especially in the Latino and African American communities, are increasingly responsible for feeding, clothing, and sheltering their children. Often their greatest challenge, however, is instilling firm discipline, a role fathers traditionally held.

At home, today’s single mothers are like kindergarten teachers, since they simultaneously care for and give rules to their children. The care-giving usually comes more natural than the rule-giving, though both are equally central in a child’s upbringing.

For conservatives, the difficulties families are encountering are mainly due to a departure from Christian values and the weakening of the institution of marriage.

For me, however, the basis to the problem is parents’ unsatisfactory adaptation to modern life.

When dealing with adolescent females, for example, many parents
particularly immigrant parents fostering a small town, conservative mentalitystill declare sex off limits and, in the process, they fail to offer their daughters candid answers to serious questions.

Yet when their daughters end up pregnant, they wonder why. Surely, conversations on contraceptives would help and so would conversations on STDs and HIV.

With mothers mentally absent and dads physically absent, older siblings are progressively becoming important because of their firsthand understanding of teenage experiences. But they won’t be enough.

In the end, the best mothers will be those who revise their strategies, while the best fathers will be those who stick around.


2 comments:

KiNeTiC said...

i have to say this is definitely some of your finest work. morales would be proud.

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris!!!
Here are some awesome feedbacks!!

Coming up I was confused
My mama kissing a girl
Confusion occurs
Coming up in a cold world
Daddy aint around
Probably out committing felonies

Thinkin' back on my one-room shack
Now my mom pimps a Ac' with minks on her back
And she loves to show me off, of course
Smiles every time my face is up in The Source
We used to fuss when the landlord dissed us
No heat, wonder why Christmas missed us
Birthdays was the worst days
Now we sip champagne when we thirst-ay

When I was young me and my mama had beef
Seventeen years old kicked out on the streets
Though back at the time, I never thought I'd see her face
Ain't a woman alive that could take my mama's place
Suspended from school; and scared to go home, I was a fool
with the big boys, breakin all the rules
I shed tears with my baby sister
Over the years we was poorer than the other little kids
And even though we had different daddy's, the same drama
When things went wrong we'd blame mama
I reminice on the stress I caused, it was hell
Huggin on my mama from a jail cell
And who'd think in elementary?
Heeey! I see the penitentiary, one day
And runnin from the police, that's right
Mama catch me, put a whoopin to my backside
And even as a crack fiend, mama
You always was a black queen, mama
I finally understand
for a woman it ain't easy tryin to raise a man
You always was committed
A poor single mother on welfare, tell me how ya did it
There's no way I can pay you back
But the plan is to show you that I understand
You are appreciated

Rahiem Klugh