Monday, June 30, 2008

I Love Cows But Not Beef

During this summer, you won’t catch me in a barbeque eating a cheeseburger, or in a baseball game eating a hot dog, or in a fast food restaurant eating a chicken sandwich. And it’s not because I’m foreign to these environments, it’s because I’m a vegetarian.

Mainstream culture dictates that we consume unprecedented amounts of meat, but—unfortunately for them, and fortunately for me—I’m not conforming to those standards.

Since becoming a vegetarian, I feel freer; I feel that my relationship with this beautiful earth and its gorgeous creatures has strengthened.

But those around me seem tenser, acting as if they have to compensate for my meatless meals.

I don’t want people to think of how I’m suffering since my diet is different, I want people to think of how
animals are suffering since their diet is the same.

The virtues of compassion and social justice, which spiritual leaders the Buddha and Jesus preached, aren’t limited to human affairs. Moral decency is about how we treat each other, as well as how we treat the environment and animals.

Instead of being a sheep like most of society’s members, I lead. And I lead not because it’s the cool thing to do, but because it’s the right thing to do.

As Gandhi eloquently said, “Be the change you want to see in the world.” I’m doing my part…are you?


3 comments:

KiNeTiC said...

Dr Cornel West, in a conversation with Lupe Fiasco, told him that it's hip to be square. What's cool is really not that cool. Nonconformity while unpopular, leads to maximum moral gratification. I commend your commitment to the well being of the environment and living species.

aztekdood13 said...

interesting, well I dont eat red meat, just chicken, turkey and fish. Well people have different views on their diet most dont care (thus obesity), some do it cuz of fads, and other cuz dey care about the environment or demselves.
Its true why follow? if ur leader fails u fail...if ur leader succeeds do u succeed?
Well..i dont care about cool i jus like being myself and so does my friends and family...in other words i dont care wat strangers think about me...:D

Laly POP! said...

"I don’t want people to think of how I’m suffering since my diet is different, I want people to think of how animals are suffering since their diet is the same."

genius phrase.